Thursday, June 26, 2008

Some Brief Reviews



Persuader by Lee Child. Sometimes I just want to watch a stupid action movie and be mindlessly entertained. Each novel in the Jack Reacher series is a book version of a stupid action movie. I love them.






Parenting, Inc. by Pamela Paul. Excessive details. I know already that there are lots of expensive learning toys, lots of expensive baby clothes and bedding, lots of expensive baby classes. Paul provides examples ad nauseum. But it is nice to read a book that encourages me to continue resisting excessive consumerism. And it was a quick read. Suggested if you feel yourself weakening, drawn inexplicably to buy every LeapFrog toy created.





Love, love, love this book. So entertaining. Great plot, very engaging characters. Same weaknesses as Meyer's Twilight series: repetitive adjectives and simplistic writing. But I did not care a bit. Found myself thinking about this book for days after I finished it! I wish there was a bit more action in it. Of the hot 'n' heavy sort. I mean, this is for adults, yet there was less kissing than in the Twilight series! What is up with that??





Here's what I'm reading right now. I'm a little over halfway through. This book is quite amusing and inspiring. I went through my closet yesterday upon the authors' insistence and ended up with a garbage bag full of castoff clothes! Shirts I've been lugging around for ten years, yet wear maybe once a year. (And yet I somehow still have over 30 short-sleeved shirts...obviously I need to cull a bit more!) Tim Gunn's writing style is insanely pretentious, and yet he manages to be warm and engaging at the same time. Not sure how he does that. I'm greatly enjoying this book.

5 comments:

Marni's Organized Mess said...

I am on a reading binge myself. I'm working on learning the workings on men in the latest. :)

Cassie said...

I just finished "The Host" today and I felt the same way about it. It really made me think, which I wasn't expecting! I, too, missed the "action," though. It would have been, um, interesting to hear about Wanderer's "bedroom" experiences, if you know what I mean!

I love Tim Gunn. I didn't know he wrote a book and now I must read it immediately.

Unknown said...

I felt the same way about the Host and Twighlight series. The stories were so superb that I immediately forgot all the simple writing and grammatical flaws (I read an ARC of the Host so it was filled with misspellings and strangely cut off sentences). I will definitely have to check out the Tim Gunn book.

Hey- I have some ARCs that I'm done with and I can't resell them or anything, do you want them? I'd be happy to send them your way, just email me. I've finally found a "friend" (although online) who reads more than me and I love to pass on books.

Katie said...

After watching a few episodes of Tim Gunn's TV show I went on a total closet binge and only had about 3 pairs of pants and a handful of shirts that I loved. I'm slowly rebuilding my wardrobe, but it's really expensive to do it his way.

Melain said...

Have you ever heard of Shelfari.com? You should get on board there. It's a great place for book lovahs.

xoxo