Thursday, March 08, 2012

Medieval March

Medieval March is proceeding swimmingly.  I am almost 100 pages in to A Distant Mirror.  The actual text of the book is about 550 pages, so I think I'm okay there.  I am almost 200 pages in to The Pillars of the Earth.  That puppy is almost 1,000 pages long, so I think I'm on track for that as well.

The books are intersecting neatly.  More than once I have read about something in one book to find it referenced in the other book later that day.  Chimneys came into use in the early 1000's, did you know?  And Flanders was the primary source of high-quality woven fabric.  Flanders being in modern Belgium.

Source

I do get a...weird...vibe from A Distant Mirror.  Tuchman was a writer first and historian second, so perhaps that accounts for her style.  It's not very post-modern.  Social scientists are so steeped in post-modernism; it changes the ways in which they insert commentary into their works.  Perhaps this is why her commentary seems odd.  It's hard to explain.

No comments: